Thursday, September 5, 2013

Sharon Srock & Callie: The Women of Valley View

With an impending house sale and looming move, I've been remiss in reading the stories I feature. As I write this blog, I am in the middle of Callie: The Women of Valley View. This is a captivating story written in the old style that reminds me of the older writers like Margaret Mitchell and Georgette Heyer. Her story of loss, faith, and forgiveness is a wonderful and endearing story.

Read more reviews about Callie: The Women of Valley View at deepershopping.com. And as I am finishing this well written and engaging story, please read below for more about Sharon Srock and her book. Some of her answers were surprising. :-)

Tell us a little about your book and yourself.
 
SS: Book blurb:
Three dire circumstances. Three desperate prayers. One miracle to save them all.
Callie Stillman is drawn to the evasive girl who’s befriended her granddaughter, but the last time Callie tried to help a child, her efforts backfired. Memories of the tiny coffin still haunt her.
Samantha and Iris Evans should be worried about homework, not whether they can pool enough cash to survive another week of caring for an infant while evading the authorities.
Steve Evans wants a second chance at fatherhood, but his children are missing.  And no one seems to want to help the former addict who deserted his family.
For Steve to regain the relationship he abandoned, for his girls to receive the care they deserve, Callie must surrender her fear and rely on God to work the miracle they all need.
 
BIO:
Sharon Srock went from science fiction to Christian fiction at slightly less than warp speed. Twenty five years ago, she cut her writer's teeth on Star Trek fiction. Today, she writes inspirational stories that focus on ordinary women using their faith to accomplish extraordinary things. A member of the American Christian Fiction Writers, Sharon serves her local chapter in the role of treasurer. Sharon lives in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma with her husband and three very large dogs. Her books include: The Women of Valley View: Callie and The Women of Valley View: Terri, both of which are currently available. The Women of Valley View: Pam will release in early 2014.Connect with her here:
 
How did the idea and/or inspiration of writing this book come about?
 
SS: That's probably the hardest question I've ever tried to answer. When I started writing Callie's story, I hadn't written anything is almost 20 years. The friend who encouraged me to start again suggested I write what I know. I was teaching 5th grade Sunday school at the time and the automatic opening scene was one of Callie with her class. That scene didn't even stay in the finished book, but it gave me a place to start.
I didn't have any real direction, didn't know a thing about the mechanics of writing, I just wrote what I felt God was giving me.


Your book has a strong faith element. How natural was this to write about?
 
SS: It turned out to be the most natural thing in the world. I've attended church my whole life, but I'm not a very vocal person. Callie gave me an outlet to share my faith in a very non threatening way.  
 
What do you hope readers take away from this book?
 
SS: The understanding that God never judges us like we judge ourselves. He wants us to stretch and grow. Bumps and bruises along the way are a normal part of the process. Slef blame and self doubt are just that...SELF...not God.
 
Which of the characters in the novel is most like you and why?
 
SS: Callie of course. More in the beginning than at the end of the story. Callie is a woman of strong faith and wisdom. I want to be more like her when I grow up.
 
Who is your favorite Biblical character and why?
 
SS: Jael from the 4th chapter of Judges. I don't think she woke up that morning planing to nail Sisera's head to her kitchen floor, but she had the courage to act on it when God gave her the hard job.
 
What’s your favorite and least favorite part about being a writer?
 
SS: Favorites--watching the story unfold, finding all the little surprises along the way.
 
Least favorite--the neverending waiting. It seems like every step has a list of things you need to wait for and patience has never been one of my virtues.
 
What advice would you have for writers hoping to follow in your footsteps?
 
SS: Find a good writers group and a critique partner you trust. I was lucky enough to find both those things early and they have saved my sanity and moved my writing along faster than anything I could have done for myself.

Other than writing, what else occupies your time?
 
SS: Oh let's see. I have a full time job, and a part time job. The joys and challenges of marketing and promotion. I have a husband, 6 kids, and 22 grandkids and great grand kids. And every once in a while I manage to turn the computer off, get the house to myself and sneak off for 30 minutes of "Me" time.
:-)
 
Thanks for being a part of my blog, Sharon. Looking forward to the rest of the books. Oh, and thank you for making my To Be Read Pile even longer than before. God Bless!
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Daphne, thanks for having me on your blog this week. I appreciate your kind words about my story.

    ReplyDelete