Thursday, October 24, 2013

Janet Sketchley & Heaven's Prey

Would you pray for the person who has done you wrong? Would you pray for your enemy? Would you pray for the person responsible for a loved one's death? Does pray for the enemy make a difference?

Serious questions for a Christian, but in Heaven's Prey Janet Sketchley brings these questions to light in a bold and unique book. Janet Sketchley's novel, Heaven's Prey, releases November 1, 2013 from Choose NOW Publishing. Feel free to tell your friends! For more information and a free sample chapter, see the Heaven's Prey page at Choose NOW Publishing.

Your novel is Heaven's Prey--tell us a little about it.

Despite her husband's objections, 40-something Ruth Warner finds healing through prayer for Harry Silver, the serial killer who brutally raped and murdered her niece. When a kidnapping-gone-wrong pegs her as his next victim, Harry claims that by destroying the one person who'd pray for him, he proves God can't—or won't—look after His own. Can Ruth's faith sustain her to the end—whatever the cost?

How did the idea and/or inspiration of writing this book come about?

Sometimes I pray for people I see in the news, either victims or villains. One day this question hit me: it's one thing to pray for an offender locked away in jail, but what would you do if you met the person face to face?

Your book has a strong faith element. How natural was this to write about?

The faith element is an integral part of the plot. Ruth feels pulled to pray for her niece's killer, and she thinks it's part of how God will help her grief. Then once she's been abducted, she has no one to rely on but God. The tricky part was to not make it preachy, and not use "churchy" jargon that readers might not understand.

What do you hope readers take away from this book?
 
Whatever happens, Jesus will be there. That's something I tell myself whenever fearful "what if" questions try to steal my peace. Ruth's experiences in Heaven's Prey prove to her heart what her head has already known about God: He is trustworthy and He never leaves us.

Which of the characters in the novel is most like you and why?

They all have bits of me, but I share most in common with Ruth. We live in the same city, have similar tastes in music, and love tea and cheesecake. I think we'd be friends. Like her, I've prayed for race car drivers and convicted criminals (among other people). Ruth has a lot more courage than I do—and she needs it.




Who is your favorite character?

That's like asking a parent to choose a favorite child. I'm very attached to them all, but I do have a special soft spot for Aaron Delaney in this story. Before Harry Silver turns to violence, he's a race car driver. Mr. Delaney is his initial sponsor and his mentor. 

What's your favorite and least favorite part about being a writer?

I love that moment, writing fiction, when a scene or character comes to life and I'm typing as fast as I can to keep up. It doesn't happen often. I think my least favorite part is when writers' angst flares up.

What advice would you have for writers hoping to follow in your footsteps?

Don't wait until you have something published to call yourself a writer. Connect with other writers online or in person. Learn from their experience and their mistakes.

Other than writing, what else occupies your time?

Where does the time go? That's a great question, and if I knew the answer, I might catch up on housework. Then again I'd likely spend it reading, or enjoying a cup of tea with my husband.
Thanks for hosting me!





Here's more about Janet Sketchley and how to connect with her:

Janet Sketchley is a Canadian author with a passion for story. She’s also a wife, mom, daughter, and friend, balancing relationships and responsibilities while learning how faith applies to real life. Combine all that with her quirky imagination to get inspiring novels about everyday women in suspenseful situations, who discover more strength within than they could have dreamed.

Website: http://janetsketchley.ca/
Heaven's Prey page: http://janetsketchley.ca/books/heavens-prey/
Sample Chapter: http://janetsketchley.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Heavens-Prey-Chapter-1.pdf
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JanetSketchley
Twitter: https://twitter.com/JanetSketchley
Amazon Author Central: http://www.amazon.com/author/janetsketchley

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting me, Daphne. Trivia: in your opening paragraph, when you said "Does praying for the enemy make a difference?" -- Praying for the Enemy was the working title for this novel for a few years.

    ReplyDelete