Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Allison Pittman's All for a Song

All for a Song by Allison Pittman
(Tyndale 2013)
 
It's not often that I find a book set in the early 1900's, especially the 1920's, that captures my attention.


 
Unless it's a classical writer from that time, I am given to be a more harsh reader. What is so special that you bring me into your story and keep me there? Does it contain historical facts, keep with the time, politics, and culture of that era? So many I have put aside; but not Allison Pittman's All for a Song.
 
It rocked me!
 
Her character Dorothy Lynn set everything to the side to follow her heart and her dream. Two worlds are front and center in this story: the country, rural, simple life tangoing with the glam, bustling, city life. Women were pushing their preconceived boundaries. Men were breaking away from the norm of society.
 
One thing this book brought to me was the new knowledge of Aimee Semple McPherson. I've found myself researching and learning more about the real life woman who anchored this novel in the 1920's.
 
There may not have been twists and turns in the story, but following the few short months before her wedding as Dorothy followed her dream was a fall into the tides of history.
 
This is one story that is a must read. So enjoyable and so heart endearing, Allison Pittman may soon be an author who will always grace my book shelves.

No comments:

Post a Comment