Wednesday, February 10, 2016

The Bachelor Girl's Guide to Murder by Rachel McMillan

by
Rachel McMillan
(Harvest House 2016)

This is an entertaining, out-of-the-box novel set in the early 1900s. From the Morality Squad to the restrictions placed on women, the two characters within the story buck convention and go about their own way, blazing a trail and uncovering crime and corruption (and there is a lot of that!). I really enjoyed the side notes throughout the reading; even the tidbits of history was a thrill. The dialogue and syntax placed me right there along with them. It was as if I was watching a black-n-white Noir film with the spunky heroine. Sights, sounds, and smells were so well described I could hear the streetcars and smell the vendors and smoke of the nightclubs. Even could imagine the newsboys shouting on the sidewalks.

Quite different from most novels that I have read, I found this one to be refreshing and extremely well written. Even the style of writing was the classical style seen in older books: books that I cherish. 

There isn't much to say about this book. It had its faults, but they were quickly overshadowed by its virtues. This is definitely a book that I will read again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment