Sunday, July 24, 2016

Ben-Hur:A Tale of the Christ by Carol Wallace

Ben-Hur
A Tale of the Christ
by
Carol Wallace
(Tyndale 2016) 

Lew Wallace, the great-great grandfather to Carol Wallace, wrote the original work, Ben-Hur; which was made into a movie starring Charleston Heston. It has become an iconic film.


Now Carol Wallace has taken this book and updated not only the style of writing but also the dialogue. From a literary prose to modern syntax, Ben-Hur can now be enjoyed by people from all walks of life. 

There were times I wished for a more detailed narrative and more in-depth character development. I felt distant from the characters most of the time and the writing was basic and below the level I usually read. But this was a great novel and I can see the benefit in rewriting the story so that it can reach many people.

Over the course of the years, Ben-Hur faced betrayal, adversaries, and pride. The book centers on him and his friend Messala, but the supporting characters add a richness to the novel. This book gives the reader an insight to a world now lost in time and history.

This will make a great book for a teenager's reading list. It will make a great book for the person who does not like to read the classic prose. 

I recommend Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ for anyone who would like to read a solid biblical tale told through a different viewpoint. 

***I was provided this novel by Tyndale in exchange for an honest and complete review*** 

2 comments:

  1. I truly love your blog.. Excellent colors & theme. Did you make this web site yourself? Please reply back as I'm trying to create my very own blog and would love to know where you got this from or exactly what the theme is called. Kudos!


    The Summer's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for replying, Ernest. I use blogger and through them you have a host of templates from which to choose. It's simple creating this. All you need is a gmail account and then go to blogger(.)com

    ReplyDelete