Caged Dove by Andrea Rodgers

Caged Dove
by
(Ambassador International 2015)

"I've waited for signs all month from God to point me in another direction, but there haven't been any. Instead, when I dropped my Bible recently, it opened to Song of Solomon 8:7. Many waters cannot quench love; rivers cannot sweep it away. If one were to give all the wealth of one's house for love, it would be utterly scorned."


This passage stuck with me for a long while as I read Caged Dove. When we follow God's plan for us things can happen surprisingly quick because for once we are not fighting against Him. But when we go against His plans that is when things seem slow or seem insurmountable. 

What is so lovely about this book isn't just the wonderful and beautiful love story that plays out. Arjay and Aniston's story was a story in the making for years and years. Until their hearts were in the right place, their love couldn't shine. And as the pages turn and the story unfolds, we see the longing from years past to the present. Intertwined with this story is a more deeply moving story about bullying and how it damages a person, especially the most vulnerable:  the children.

Like the double helix, these two stories are connected and they push each other along but with one main tether: God. The exact time, the exact place, the exact people: all things happen when God is in control, which is another theme in this story.

"Do you know what they talked about? Doves. How they symbolize peace, tenderness, innocence, and gentleness. How we must not let those parts of ourselves become caged..."

When I think back upon that line, I see the symbolism and it speaks to me. There is hardly a book that can make me cry and smile at the same time. And Caged Dove did that. And rarely does a book stay with me after I turn that last page, but Caged Dove did that, too.

I highly, highly recommend this book. It's an inspiration, a romance, and a deeply moving novel. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shirley Corder's Strength Renewed

God's Name is a Tower by LeAnne Blackmore

The Reluctant Guardian by Susanne Dietze